Virbhadra is the name of a warrior who was an incarnation of Lord Shiva
- Start with the Mountain Pose.
- Jump or walk so that your feet are around four feet apart.
- Inhale and raise both arms parallel to the floor, turn your head to the left, turn your left foot 90 degrees and right foot about 45 degrees.
- Exhale and bend your left knee (trying to keep the knee just above the ankle, it can be before the ankle but don’t let the knee go away from the ankle). Keep the hips in the same angle (180 degrees) as for the arms. Stay in this position for 30 seconds to one minute breathing normally.
- Inhale straighten your knee and exhale hands down and come back to the mountain posture.
- Strengthens and stretches the legs and ankles
- Stretches the groins, chest and lungs, shoulders
- Stimulates abdominal organs
- Increases stamina
- Relieves backaches, especially through second trimester of pregnancy
- Therapeutic for carpal tunnel syndrome, flat feet, infertility, osteoporosis, and sciatica
- High blood pressure
- Neck problems: Don’t turn your head to look over the front hand; continue to look straight ahead with both sides of the neck lengthened evenly.
Look for other postures in our asana directory