Suci – needle
Randhra – opening/aperture/hole
- Lie on your back, with your knees bent, and the soles of your feet on the floor.
- Lift the right foot up and place the ankle onto the left thigh.
- Lift your chest up, pass your right hand between your legs and the left hand around your left leg and interlock your fingers on the left thigh (Variation 2) or left shin bone (Variation 1)
- Relax your head and shoulder on the ground. You will feel a stretch on your right hips. To deepen the stretch pull the left knee towards the chest.
- Stay in the asana for about 30 seconds. Repeat it on the other side for an equal amount of time.
- If you cannot reach your shin, hold onto the thigh or use a strap to hold around the leg.
- Increases external range of motion of femur in hip socket
- Lengthens hip flexors (Stretches the hips)
- Prepares body for seated postures such as Padmasana (Lotus posture)
- Knee injury
- Sacroiliac issue