Virbhadra is the name of a Warrior who was the incarnation of Lord Shiva
- Start with the Mountain Pose.
- Jump or move your left foot sideways so your feet are about four feet apart.
- Inhale turn your left foot 90 degrees to the left and position your right foot about 45 degrees to the left and bring both hand up join the palm and look to the thumb.
- Exhale rotate your torso to the left, and bend your knee.
- Make sure that the knee is directly above your ankle. Bending too much may lead to knee injury.
- Stay here for about 30 seconds. Inhale straighten the knee, bring your hands down and exhale come back to mountain pose.
- Stretches the chest and lungs, shoulders and neck, belly, groins (psoas)
- Strengthens the shoulders and arms, and the muscles of the back
- Strengthens and stretches the thighs, calves, and ankles
- High blood pressure
- Heart problems
- Students with shoulder problems should keep their raised arms parallel (or slightly wider than parallel) to each other.
- Students with neck problems should keep their head in a neutral position and not look up at the hands.
Look for other postures in our asana directory