Utthita – Upright
Hasta – hand
Pad – feet
Angushtha – big toe
- Start from Tadasana/Samasthiti shift your whole weight on your left leg and bend the right knee trying to bring the knee as close to the chest as possible using both hands. Keep the hips squated and do not lift the hip up. (If your hamstrings are not long enough then you can stay in this posture as a preparation for the final posture)
- Hold the right big toe by wrapping with the first two fingers of the right hand and put your left hand on your left hip. Try to pull the knee in towards the mid line of the body.
- Straighten the right leg but only to the point where your back can be held upright. With the leg straight try to lift it higher. If the shoulder is pulled forward then try to pull it back until the shoulders are squared. Try to stay in the posture for 30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
- Stretches hamstrings,hips and adductors
- Strengthens back,legs, ankles and arm muscles
- Improves sense of balance.
- Calms mind and improves focus.
- Ankle injury
- Lower back injuries
- Tight hamstrings